List Building: Checklist
Posted by Son of Adam
Hey guys, Son of Adam here again with a little list building checklist. This is not the end all be all of list building, but is simply a quick check to run through your list in order to see if you are missing something.
If you are building an all-comers list for any mission in the new BRB, then there are some things that you ought to make sure that you consider. Here is a very basic two part checklist to run through your list. The first is directly written with the Golden Rules in mind, and the second are with the potential meta in mind.
- How will this list handle scoring/contesting 6 different objectives?
- Is there any way to reduce my kill point total? Does this list have too many?
- Are all of the heavy support choices in this list diverse enough to take advantage of Big Guns Never Tire without creating too much of a victory points liability should they be destroyed and award the opponent victory points?
- Are all of the Fast Attack choices in this list diverse enough to take advantage of The Scouring without creating too much of a victory points liability should they be destroyed and award the opponent victory points?
- Can this list get a near guarantee that I claim one particular objective of my choosing?
- Can this list guarantee that I can deny one particular objective of my opponent?
- Does this list provide a solution for seizing and holding the relic?
- Does this list provide a solution for forcing an opponent to drop the relic?
- Does this list have a hard to kill Warlord?
- Does this list provide a means to kill the opponents Warlord?
- Does this list have an easy to kill unit?
- Does this list provide a means for getting the first kill?
- What in this list is poised to be in the enemy’s deployment zone at the end of the game?
- Does this list provide a solution for AV14 vehicles?
- Does this list provide a solution for Deathstars?
- Does this list provide a solution for fliers?
- Does this list provide a solution for hordes?
- Does this list provide a solution for MSU?
- Does this list provide a solution for 2+ saves?
- Does this list provide a solution for Monstrous Creatures
- Does this list provide a solution for Psykers?
Notice that these are not overly specific. That is intentional. There are many tricky ways to deal with the different threats and achieve different objectives. For example you can deal with a deathstar without killing it (see here for that article). Or win “The Emperor’s Will” without trying to claim the opponents objective (article here), or any at all (article here). Keep an eye out for providing an answer to each of these items in non-traditional ways.
This is a very general checklist, but not a bad one to give your list a quick run-through. Most of us try to run through this checklist in our heads anyway, but it is good to have a tangible list in front of us, and will benefit those that have not considered it before.
Run your list through this checklist and tell us about how it fared. Feel free to post an overview of your list and its strengths and weaknesses in regards to the checklist in the comments below. If you want to send me a copy of your list and your review personally send it to SonofAdam@MasterCraftGaming.com.
About Son of AdamI am a 40k player and have been since the time of third edition. My first love, and presently an unfortunate one at that, is the Tau. In 4th edition I began a modest IG army, and then started a small yet growing Grey Knight trophy army in 5th. In the recent past, I have succumbed to the desire to play Eldar; that same alluring desire of precision in play, and artistic gracefulness of modeling that many 40k players always seem to toy with. I am finding this last army to be very challenging and enjoyable. My involvement with the hobby is as an appreciator of much of the fluff, an admirer and novice in the art of modeling, and an enjoyer of the game.
Posted on August 24, 2012, in Game Strategy, List Building and tagged 40k, 6th, 6th Ed., 6th edition, Checklist, deathstar, Flyers, List building, Mission 5, Monstrous Creature, Strategy, tactics, Tying for the win, Warhammer. Bookmark the permalink. 3 Comments.